Promoting Palestinian Economic Regeneration and Development
On the 19th February 2008, Rights and Humanity was invited to participate in a meeting on ‘Supporting Palestinian Economic Regeneration and Development’ hosted by Lord Ahmed of Rothermere at the House of Lords.
Our President was a keynote speaker with a presentation entitled “Economic Factors in Promoting Justice: A Human Rights Approach”. She stressed the importance of international human rights law as an objective non-partisan framework for ensuring economic justice, peace and justice for all people affected by the conflict.
Her theme became the key point of discussion in the meeting and participants decided to invite Rights and Humanity to co-host the next meeting to look at this issue in more depth. Discussions are currently under way with the Scottish Parliament to organise a similar meeting there.
The speakers were:
• H.E. Professor Manuel Hassassian (Palestinian General Delegation, Ambassador to the UK),
• His Grace The Right Revd Bishop Riah Abu El-Assal, (former Anglican Bishop In Jerusalem) (speech read on his behalf)
• Julia Häusermann, MBE, Founder and President, Rights and Humanity
• Muddassar Ahmed (General Secretary, Muslim Labour Movement; Stephen O’Brien (Chair, International Business Leaders Forum)
• Husam Zomlot (Political Advisor to the Palestinian General delegation to the UK)
• Mr Iqbal Khan (former CEO HSBC)
• Clive Hambidge (Abstract Artist; event co-convener)
• Soraya Boyd(Human Rights Campaigner event co-convener)
The meeting marked the launch of the Muslim Labour Movement.